mandag 25. januar 2010

How can I ever stop?

I have written almost my whole life.

Since I was a kid in the little town of Voss, my imagination took me places where dead people walk and talk, and into a world where anything is possible. Of course all of this happened in my head. In the real world, I was a ordinary boy in a ordinary world, happy living with a normal family.

I now write for a living. Im a journalist in a newspaper called Vestnytt. Its a good newspaper, and I love my colleagues and my place of work. Every day my hands dances on the computer and words come out. Words from fact. Eventually the words get stained with ink, and planted on cheap paper for people to read the next morning. Thats what I get paid for.

The other ting don't pay me diddly, yet.

Every night, when the sun has set, and the Night Things climb out of their earthly bed, my other brain starts to work.
I have called it The Other Kai (thanks Coraline).
At first I didnt know that it existed, but after reading Damon Knights Creating Short Fiction, I discovered where the voice in my head came from, and not the least, how to control it.
Thats why I gave it the name The Other Kai (thanks Neil).

After establishing the fact that there is another Me in my head, and If waken when I call on it, Im able to conjure more stories and make something out of them.
Finally, after almost 40 years, I can control the voice in my head.

The dear readers of my blog, may find me crazy. The answer is probably yes. Crazy as hell.

But I belive that my imagination all comes from The Other Kai. When on work, struggling with a deadline, I tend to call, in my head, for The Other Kai, for inspiration and help to get on when Im stuck, and I get help.
Within a few minutes, a strange but silent voice in my head gives me the lead that helps me go on and finish the story.

And in the night, when I sit in front of my Apple, and write about gosts, and dead people, and everything I love to write about, The Other Kai is awake and with me, all the time.

That was not the case before. Before I knew my other self.
Earlier I reached out into the dark, got clues, and nothing more.
Now I know what to do with the clues.
So I keep on working, and maybe one day, Ill get my Other Stuff Published.
Just maybe.

Until that day, Ill keep on pushing The Other Kai, and work with him, conjure stories with him, and love him until my dying day....

...how can I ever stop?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar