fredag 22. januar 2010

In favour of Neil Gaiman


This is the first blog I have ever written in english, and I do hope that the ones that speak and write this complex language, take that into consideration.

After reading Neil Gaimans blog this morning, I felt the urge to write some words in his defence. Not that the famous writer needs it, but Ill still do it.

One thing that I have been thinking about for a long time, was the critique of Gaiman and his likings of the famous Junglebook-writer, Rudyard Kipling. Telegraph was a newpaper that wrote about this. Gaiman got what was near to resemble a hate-mail after professing that Kipling was one of his literary heroes. Gaiman has also based his award winning, Graveyard book, on Kiplings Jungle book.

Why should Gaiman not have Kipling as a literary hero. Is Gaiman a facist, just because Kipling was accused of beeing that, after writing If and Gunga Din? I have read Kipling, and he is a wonderful storyteller, and Gaimans Graveyard book understates just that.

One of my literary heroes is Knut Hamsun. His book Victoria, is one of the most sensible work of love one can read. But Hamsun met Adolf Hitler. Hamsun was positive to the nazi-regime. Hamsund never regretted his flirt with the nazism, and wrote a book in his defence after WW2, his trial and the house arrest, called Overgrown Paths. But I love his books, and admire his work as a writer. Does that make me a nazi?

I think not!

Gaiman, 49, said: "I definitely don't write like Kipling but he was a literary hero as a kid, to the newspaper. Is that enough to receive hate-mail?

I think not.

Well. As a journalist, i try to my very best to write the trouth and as exact what the source say. Gaiman recently was the receiver of female hatred after The New Yorker quoted him; I "wasn't anyone's bitch". The best part is that according to @neilhimself (username on Twitter), he never said those words. Still he apologised several times, but the critique went on.

Well Neil Gaiman is my most favoured writer, and I follow him and his family and friends on Twitter. I cannot understand why so-called fans of him, now claims that all his good work is futile because something they have read in a newspaper. Shame on you.

I have a cat, and I love it. Neil Gaimans cat, Zoe, is dying, and the Gaiman-family is about to loose a member of their family. Thats sad, and should be respected, even if its a cat. For some, as for me, the cat is a equal member of the family, and the sorrow when my cat travel to the other world, will be overwelming.

Thats my speach of the day. As I said, Neil Gaiman can take care of himself, but I wanted to write some words even though.

This is my cat, Neil. Best of wishes for Zoe. Will think of her in the days to come.

Kai

1 kommentar: